I love to cook & try new foods. I’ll try (almost) everything once. One of the things that I added to my 101 in 1001 list was to try 10 different varieties of cheese. Fancy? I love it! We planned on doing a big party with Craig’s brother, but since we were sick we did it a few days later with our neighbors. We had a lot of leftover cheese and I made an awesome baked mac and cheese.My favorite was triple creme brie. I poured warm honey and strawberry over the top of it and it was yummy! My second favorite was smoked gouda.
Fun Cheese Facts
- There are over 2,000 varieties of cheeses.
- Remains of cheese have been found in Egyptian tombs over 4,000 years old.
- In 1869, English Cheese makers Green’s of Glastonbury made and gave British Queen Victoria a wedding gift of a giant 1/2 ton Cheddar wheel.
- The terms “Big Wheel” and “Big Cheese” originally referred to those who were wealthy enough to purchase a whole wheel of cheese.
- The average American eats 32 lb / 14.5 kg per year of it.
Fun Cheese Game
- In car, when bored, each person in turn says the name of a cheese type, if can’t remember one then you are out, last person to name one wins!
Fun Cheese Joke
- What type of cheese is made backwards . . . . . . . . . . . . Edam!
Random cheese fact, game and joke found here.